Friday, May 24, 2013

Google Glass

Today, I went on Youtube and saw this - Google Glass. Pretty cool.

One of our LSAT students in class will actually be involved in this project after taking the June LSAT. Believe it or not, I had no idea Google was making a Google Glass until he (our student) mentioned it.

So watching Google's promotional video about Google Glass got me thinking - what if they allowed this thing into the LSAT? Of course, it's all wistful thinking. The LSAT doesn't even permit electronic timers (see here)!

I don't know the exact reason why LSAC doesn't permit modern electronics. However, I suspect it has something to do with cheat prevention. And let's suppose it is all about cheat prevention - would permitting, for example, electronic timers really promote cheating?

I remember when the ACT and SAT (the dreaded college entrance exams) decided to permit calculators for the math sections of the exams. Parents were shocked and students were giddy. Folks were thinking of ways to cheat using their calculators. But nope. Trying to cheat using these calculators would waste more time (and effort) than actually trying to straight-up solve the problems on the test.

With technology as advanced as it is I suppose we can fantasize about ways to cheat on the LSAT using electronic timers. But really?! If high school students can take in scientific calculators and be trusted not to cheat, then I think pre-law students can be trusted not to cheat using electronic timers.

Anyhow, once upon a time electronic timers were permitted (pre-2009...I believe). For my students' sake, I wish they'd permit electronic timers (again).






No comments:

Post a Comment