Monday, July 19, 2010

LSAT: NOT an IQ Test

I have a confession.

When I'm bored, I like to lurk around some LSAT message boards/forums. I know what my non-LSAT friends are thinking: "What kind of sick freak spends his time reading posts by stressed out standardized test takers?" But perhaps you're one of the many participants on these message boards - trying to gain some insight into the LSAT. If you are, I'd like to give you a little warning.

Despite the attitudes of some "veterans" of those LSAT forums, most of the drivel that gets spilled out is pure speculation. And much of what is said on there is just plain, dead wrong. But as soon as you try to point out some mistaken ideas on there, you'll get a lot of these know-it-alls challenging you with flawed arguments. I shudder at the thought of these people becoming lawyers. And as tempting as it may be to heed the advice of these "geniuses," DON'T.

Here's one fallacy that makes its rounds around the LSAT forums quite regularly: "The LSAT is an IQ test."

You'll see this topic pop up every quarter as exasperated students studying for the LSAT try to come to terms with why they're not scoring as high as others. Some on these boards willfully encourage this fallacy knowing the truth to be the opposite. Machiavellians hope that the misguidedly hopeless will set the curve a little lower.

Here's the truth: The LSAT is NOT an IQ test. How high you score on the test is not based on how high your "IQ" is. (BTW, the IQ test is highly overrated and inaccurate depending on which exact test and scoring methods are used...but that's for another post some other day...)

I'll tell you what the LSAT really is. The LSAT tests three (3) things:
1) Logic - LSAT logic
2) Reading - fast and accurate reading skills necessary
3) Focus - psychological focus

The beauty of this test is that you can be the dumbest blockhead on the planet and still score quite high because these three skills can be acquired by anybody. All it requires is proper training and proper practice. Some may be able to study on their own and have no problem achieving the score they want. Others may require the helpful hand of a knowledgeable teacher who can how to properly guide the student to get the score they desire.

If you do decide to use a teacher/tutor, make sure that your teacher is qualified and knows how to teach. Just because I scored 180 on the LSAT does not mean that I know how to get you to score 180 as well. Make sure you check my references and proven results in boosting students' LSAT scores.

I firmly believe that with the proper training and enough time to practice to perfection, Forrest Gump can score in the 99th percentile. Let this thought be encouraging to the hopeful and humbling to the boastful.

4 comments:

  1. "I firmly believe that with the proper training and enough time to practice to perfection, Forrest Gump can score in the 99th percentile."

    This is wishful thinking, and I don't think you really do "firmly believe" it. You are just trying to sell your product.


    Buyer beware. He or she included the below disclaimer for a reason.

    "Just because I scored 180 on the LSAT does not mean that I know how to get you to score 180 as well."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting. But what product do you think I'm trying to sell here? =)

      This is a free blog. Everything posted on here is for free. We seek no buyers on this blog. Just readers and fans.

      Also, Forrest Gump is a fictional character. We think you're missing the main point of the illustration. The point is that with hard work and practice, folks can learn to score in the 99th percentile. 99th percentile scores aren't naturally born - they are made with much practice and training.

      Delete
  2. The post says you are a tutor and to check your references. Are you not seeking paying students?

    Anyway, if what you are saying is true, the test would be worthless and top law schools would be specked with very dumb students who practiced their way to the 99th percentile. In my law school (not widely considered a top school), I haven't encountered anybody who seems so dumb that they seem out of place. Where are the hard working students of below average intelligence that made it in by studying really hard for the LSAT? There aren't any. This indicates to me that the test actually weeds out very dumb candidates pretty effectively (not just those who didn't study hard enough for the LSAT).

    Also, if you read the many gunners' posts on the forums you are talking about, you would encounter many that managed to boost their scores to a certain level but then plateaued. I had a similar experience and one that you cannot identify with, being a 180 scorer.

    That being said, I agree that the LSAT is very learnable, but only to an extent. Like it or not, innate ability comes into play with the LSAT just like with anything else and most people will not be 99th percentile scorers no matter how hard they try. After all, NBA all stars are also made with "much practice and training," but are in fact "naturally born" with that potential to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair and very good points.

      Perhaps I should have better framed my post. It was originally written in response to "lazy students" who won't even try studying for the LSAT because they believed it to be an IQ test.

      The LSAT is (I believe) a counter-intuitive exam. "Logic" does not equal "common sense." For example, I will be the first to admit that I had to work my tail off for my score - I went through all available practice exams 2/3 times, over a span of 5-6 months.

      I apologize for not having had been more clear, but the intended point (of the post) was that natural smarts and brain power is not enough to ace the LSAT. It's not an IQ exam that you can just walk into and ace. Hard work and sweat is part of the equation.

      I'll change the 99th percentile tid-bit.

      Finally, I am indeed a professional tutor, and students are welcomed to check my references. But I in no way intended to solicit business through this post. I was simply encouraging students to do their due diligence, IF they hire teachers/tutors. Also see this post:

      http://lsatblogger.blogspot.com/2010/10/finding-best-lsat-tutor-6-point-quality.html

      Thank you for your comments...seriously. =). It sounds like you're a law student. Perhaps you'd like to guest blog for us sometime? We'd be more than happy to have you share your thoughts. This blog is only as good as its contributors and readers make it. If you're even vaguely interested, please email me/us lsatboost@gmail.com

      Delete